cup2.gifMerry Christmas, Boston Charlie

Growing up Catholic meant that Christmas was chuck full of carols coming from the radio, the record player, or my mother for weeks prior to the big day. Secular or religious, the air was full of Christmas tunes for most of December.

Even today, after I haul out my infamous mp3 playlist of Bing Crosby, Mannhiem Steamroller, and Gene Autry around the middle of the month, and it performs background music chores while cookies are baked and the tree is trimmed, there is one carol (well, actually two, but NO ONE outside my contemporary siblings has ever heard the Line Material Christmas song...) that I have to sing myself.

Cartoonist Walt Kelly wrote these lyrics for his Pogo comic strip to the tune of "Deck the Halls With Boughs of Holly".

Christmas isn't Chrsitmas without my off-tune massacring of this song.

BC.gif

Deck Us All With Boston Charlie

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!

Don't we know archaic barrel
Lullaby Lilla Boy, Louisville Lou?
Trolley Molly don't love Harold,
Boola boola Pensacoola hullabaloo!

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
Polly wolly cracker 'n' too-da-loo!
Donkey Bonny brays a carol,
Antelope Cantaloupe, 'lope with you!

Hunky Dory's pop is lolly gaggin' on the wagon,
Willy, folly go through!
Chollie's collie barks at Barrow,
Harum scarum five alarm bung-a-loo!

Dunk us all in bowls of barley,
Hinky dinky dink an' polly voo!
Chilly Filly's name is Chollie,
Chollie Filly's jolly chilly view halloo!

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
Double-bubble, toyland trouble! Woof, woof, woof!
Tizzy seas on melon collie!
Dibble-dabble, scribble-scrabble! Goof, goof, goof!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best of all, since the lyrics are impossible to remember, you can make up any that seem to fit!

Posted by bobtrancho at December 21, 2004 5:24 PM

Comments

I just mailed you Christmas/Hanukkah Card today.
Great minds think alike.

Posted by: Vickie at December 21, 2004 6:02 PM
-------------------------

Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!

Posted by: bobtrancho at December 21, 2004 6:04 PM
-------------------------

Okay, now I have the Line Materials song running through my head...

Posted by: jane at December 22, 2004 10:32 AM
-------------------------

Boy, I'd really like to find that old, red 45...

Posted by: bobtrancho at December 22, 2004 10:47 AM
-------------------------

It was truly awesome - it put those squirrels to shame in terms of being annoying. And we played it over and over and over and over and over. If I'd have been Mom I would have stomped it to bits.

Posted by: jane at December 22, 2004 1:40 PM
-------------------------

generation gap. and i have no memory of you ever singing that song.

Posted by: corie at December 22, 2004 3:58 PM
-------------------------

I never really sang THAT song because I never remember the words, but I always sang/sing my own nonsense version every holiday season.

Posted by: bobtrancho at December 22, 2004 4:21 PM
-------------------------

Just imagine a sappy tune and many small children singing, "Merrrryyy Christmas - from Line Materials" over and over and over and over and over and over...

Posted by: jane at December 22, 2004 4:44 PM
-------------------------

Although not a contemporary sibling, I remember the Line Materials song. I guess being quite young at that time, the repetitive jingle was burned into my young brain and has become an indelible part of my earliest memeories. Anyway, I found a site that sells 45s with this listing:

"Line Materialšs Christmas Brochure: The Kinds Of Christmas / Santašs North Pole Band (Line Material ) (45) 195? VG $8"

I don't know for sure if this refers to THE Line Materials song, but how many could there be?

Posted by: Mark at December 23, 2004 10:45 AM
-------------------------

Cool! I just ordered it along with "Here Come Fatty Claus" (with a German B side!)to make the $15.00 minimum.

Posted by: bobtrancho at December 23, 2004 12:15 PM
-------------------------

If this is the real deal you must burn a copy for old time(ers) sake. This has to go into the family archives. I wonder if any other family has such fond if twisted memories of the Line Material Company?

Posted by: Vickie at December 23, 2004 10:08 PM
-------------------------

Oh I remember Line material christmas songs well. My Mother and I still sing Merry chritmas from Line material every year. In fact we call relatives who are not home for Christmas to sing it to them. My dad brought many Line material christmas records home over the years. He was in the gas business and Line Material was a company that catered to gas lines etc. They would put out a christmas book complete with record at christmas time. I still have many of my records and play them every year.

Posted by: Stacy at May 27, 2005 8:19 PM
-------------------------

You better believe we rememner the Line Material Christmas jingle, which ended each of the songs that the company put out as Christmas gifts to customers. We have several of the songs, including "Let's Trim the Christmas Tree" and "The Day Santa fot Sick."

Posted by: Stacy at May 28, 2005 2:51 PM
-------------------------

If anyone in my family says Merry Christmas, someone else finishes it with "From Line Material"

All of our records got lost somewhere along the way. I would love to get recordings of any of these.

Posted by: David at December 12, 2005 9:28 PM
-------------------------

The LM records were a big hit with my siblings. I was one of the youngest and had to listen to the scrathy "leftovers." I have since been collecting the books and records over the years so I can pass the "tradition" on to my daughter. I have a nice clean recording of the 1958 "The Sournds of Christmas" that I would be glad to e-mail to you in .mp3 format to post for other to enjoy.

Posted by: Kedron at December 20, 2005 6:17 AM